Students Inspiring our Community Through Service
Service to others has always been a cornerstone of the Catholic education offered at Saint Thomas. In 2011, members of our community were inspired to create a first of its kind, school wide program called STA Serves. The aim of STA Serves is to instill the virtue of life long service to others. The program connects students directly with local and national organizations and provides opportunities for the students to take an active, hands-on service role throughout the school year. Each grade level works directly with an age-appropriate charitable organization during the course of the school year. Students experience first hand the joy of giving; whether it is fourth grade students working with the Down System Network or middle school students working to refurbish the home of a family in need.
Our students have already taken the initiative and made wonderful additions to the program and community. One student coordinated a room at Maggie’s Place Mesa location and collected everything a new mother and baby need for those first precious months of life. Another third grade student collects Halloween costumes for children who might not otherwise be able to dress up. Our students are always inspiring us to grow the program and make a larger impact in our community.
STA Serves also includes many school-wide events, including:
- Mane Event: students and other community members donate hair to make wigs for cancer patients
- Bears for the Brave: our Pre-K and Kindergarten students collect stuffed animals for local police distribute to children that they encounter during the course of their shifts.
- Treats for Troops: students gather care package items to be sent to military who are serving abroad
- First Friday Collection: the community is encouraged to donate new or gently-used items to be given to a variety of charitable organizations
- Saint Vincent de Paul Christmas: students and the community sponsor families to provide much needed items and basics during this season of giving. In addition the community stuffs over xxx stockings with useful and fun items for children in our community.